Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Let's all pat ourselves on the back... or not.

So, I was watching the local news today and they were making a big deal about how the city's school report cards are out. Naturally, I went to the DOE website and looked up my school. We got an A. Now as seasoned teacher in the city system, we know that these grades don't necessarily mean a whole lot. It just means that your school's test scores were applied to an ever-changing formula involving AYP (annual yearly progress), minority groups, minority groups in the lowest third percentile, special education students, etc., and out comes a magical letter grade that could mean the difference between getting a pat on the back from the DOE or being punished and told your incompetent and your school is failing. So, you might imagine my relief in finding that my school got an A... that is until I read the fine print. Over 87% of all NYC public schools scored an A. 10% scored a B. C,D, and F had less than 1% each. Wow, we must be the most brilliant system in the whole world! But seriously, are you kidding me? Is this supposed to make me feel better? What about the parents? This is an outright lie and an outrage!!!! Now the higher-ups can sit around in their suits and talk about how great they are and run commercials about how they improved the public schools. It is sickening to me because I know what goes on in a so-called "A" school and we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back, we should be working even harder because we as a system NEED to do better for our children.

2 comments:

miss brave said...

Your blog sent me to the DOE website...my school got an A as well. What a joke. Meanwhile, it looks like we got there because we got a perfect score on "student progress," which is obviously measured by the state standardized tests, and it seemed like scores across the city were artificially high this year. I guess this means we'll be dropping back down next year...

Erica Thomas said...

I was unable to see our 2008-2009 score, it kept opening up last year's progress report. Last year we got a B, dropping from an A from the previous year. I'm SO curious about what this year's grade is.